Thursday, April 1, 2010

How to Take Better Bluebonnet Pictures of Your Children (As Far as I Know How)

The bluebonnets are out and they are gorgeous! I know a lot of you moms are out driving and you notice hills of bluebonnets on the side of the road and you think to yourself "I have the most gorgeous children in the world, I should get a picture of my babies with this Texas landmark". That is of course quite true and few things are cuter then adorable kids in pretty blue flowers!

There are a couple of tricks that can make your bluebonnet pictures more vivid and I thought we'd cover a few of them today.

First of all you need a good patch of flowers. In the past my favorite spots have been across from Jane Long off 2818, and in the median at the intersection of Arrington road and 40. This year, those spot aren't so hot, so if any of you know of an excellent locations feel free to share it with the others in the comments! The best places are on a less busy road, or at least with good parking areas, and have trees behind them so you aren't shooting a road behind your child.

Another thing to consider is that bluebonnets grow in the full sun, and the best time to shoot them is when the light is soft. That means about 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning (perhaps on your way to drop your kids off at school?) or about 6:00 at night. If at all possible you will also want to find a patch in the shade at those times.


This is a patch of bluebonnets I shot straight down on.

This is the same patch as above. The difference is I crouched in the flowers and shot directly across them. See how there are more flowers in the shot? This is especially true of shots with your children in them, You want to get low and shoot across the flowers to get as many bluebonnets as possible in the shot. You also want to have flowers in front of and behind your child.

Here's a group of four sweet sisters I shot the other day!



This is Vivian, she was not so excited to be sitting in the grass and flowers. I love her expression and crossed arms in this image. She looks like a bewildered little woman.

We did get her to smile though! (And when I say "we" I mean, "her dad".)

This is lovable Lila



This is sweet Corinne



This pretty lady is Anna Beth.



The big sisters

The little sisters

The entire group.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

The bluebonnets are really good on 47 right before you get to villa Maria. Hardly any traffic either.

Butterfly Chaser Photography said...

Thanks Lauren! I have a couple of shoot in Downtown Bryan that are supposed to end with bluebonnets and that helps a lot!